The Word really came alive this Palm Sunday as Pastor Vernon Jacob unpacked this teaching:
- Palm Sunday is the most auspicious week in the Christian calendar.
- It’s the necessary end of Christ (end of His walk on earth) marking a new beginning for believers.
- It is the week that leads us to the cross, the commencement of a journey to His death that followed in His resurrection.
- This is the reason that we have eternal life.
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.John 15:13
- As Jesus goes to the cross, He lays His life down. He does so willingly. No one took His life, He gave His life.
- We need to grow in the things of God and come to a meaningful relationship with Him.
- We ought to give Him our past, walk with Him in our present and trust Him with our future.
- Mark 11:6-13 captures the story of Palm Sunday https://www.bible.com/bible/114/MRK.11.NKJV
- A colt is the baby of a donkey. Even lower than a donkey. Riding on humility.
- Jesus is the King of Kings, He could have been born in palatial settings but instead was born in a stable.
- He displayed humility at its best, rather than pride at its worst, that both peasants and princes both could relate to Him.
They quickly took their cloaks and spread them under him on the bare steps. Then they blew the trumpet and shouted, “Jehu is king!”2 Kings 9:13
- In 2 Kings we see the crowd greet King Jehu in a similar manner as this was the kind of greeting used for kings, however, Jehu rode on a horse not a colt.
- When we use the word “HOSANNA” we say it with reverence… Glory to the King! The crowds however were singing a political song.
- There are two types of people in a crowd, FANS and FOLLOWERS.
- Love to shout
- Are enthusiastic admirers
- Get excited about the person on stage
- Attends the show, buys the bumper sticker, has the ring tone
- Does not really know the artist
- Has a distant relationship built on hype
- We should never put the man of God on a pedestal, but rather honour the God of the man.
- True followers believe in Him for who He really is
- Their hearts are connected and a relationship exists
- The next level is discipleship.
- Jesus had many fans, but He calls us to be His followers. He tells the disciples to follow Him.
- We are called to be believers not feelers.
Understanding The Fanfare…
- Hosanna in reverence means “Save us!”
- The crowd context was “liberate us now!”
- This was a cry from oppressed people seeking political freedom / emancipation.
- The Jews were under the control of Rome. Their context of salvation was for Jesus to overthrow the government.
- The crowd dispersed when, instead of turning right towards Fortress Antonia – The Roman Bastille, Jesus turned left towards the temple.
Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.Zechariah 9:9
- Their expectations blinded them to the discernment of scripture. Knowing the prophesies related to the coming Messiah, they should immediately have recognized Zechariah 9:9 being played out.
- They were seeing LIBERATION whilst Jesus came to give SALVATION. Liberation is TEMPORARY, Salvation is ETERNAL.
- The people were known for the fact that even though they had a God, they wanted a king.
- They were in a NOW context and could see no further than that.
- They saw Jesus just for the current time they were living, not for ETERNITY.
- Our God is a God of GENERATIONS. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob….
- God is greater than time, He sits outside of time.
- Sometimes we are so blinded by our own answers we fail to see God’s way.
- Jesus was not the freedom fighter they were seeking, instead He came to save their souls. He came to set the captives free (Luke 4:18)
- Jesus’s value was not material but spiritual. He came with blood in His veins. Blood that would flow for us on Friday…
- They chose Jesus Barabbas instead of Jesus the Christ.
- Barabbas means “son of the father” they chose the son of the father instead of The Son of the FATHER.
- When crowds no longer find value in you for them they reject you.
- Crowds don’t see value in you but in what you can do for them.
Understanding The Ministry Of Christ
MESSIANIC SECRET: Christ wanted to keep His identity hidden until His disciples truly received a revelation of who He was.
- Mark 1-9 Covers Christ’s 2 and a half years of ministry.
- Mark 10 Covers the last 6 months of ministry.
- Mark 11-16 Covers His last week in ministry.
- Jesus never went to Jerusalem during His two and a half years of ministry. Jerusalem was a slaughter house. Once He entered there it took less than 4 days to kill Him. He did not enter until His time had come.
- Jesus’s objective was to ensure that the disciples (not the crowds) were convinced of who He was so that they could carry the word.
And it happened, as He was alone praying, that His disciples joined Him, and He asked them, saying, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” So they answered and said, “John the Baptist, but some say Elijah; and others say that one of the old prophets has risen again.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered and said, “The Christ of God.”Luke 9:18-20
- The crowds were seeing Reincarnation instead of Resurrection.
- Jesus went on to declare..
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.Matthew 16:17-18
- On this rock… On this revelation… Jesus would build His church. The revelation given to the disciples through the Holy Spirit.
- When Peter responded through revelation that Christ lived in heaven before, and now on the earth, Jesus knew it was time to die because it was time for the Church to be born.
From Sunday to Sunday
- Palm Sunday marks the start of the Holy week.
- Jesus entered Jerusalem riding on a colt.
- The same crowds that HAILED him would, in the same week, NAIL Him.
- This is a week that would change the lives of everyone who would believe in the Christ of this event.
- Our mandate is not just to live as followers of Christ but to tell people of His Saving Grace.
- People are seeking solutions. There are solutions to everything on earth except death.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.John 3:16
- What keeps us after the hype dies down is the promise. The change from MORTAL to IMMORTAL…
For our dying bodies must be transformed into bodies that will never die; our mortal bodies must be transformed into immortal bodies.1 Corinthians 15:53
We live in the land of the dying, not the land of the living… in order that we may live in eternity (the true land of the living) we need to receive Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour.
Share this message with someone you love, God’s instruction was to Share the Gospel. The gospel is the good news of salvation in Christ.
Listen to this beautiful teaching by clicking on the link below and be blessed