On Good Friday morning Pastor Vernon Jacob took us on an enlightening journey through the Old Testament scriptures as he explained the foreshadowing of Jesus Our Lord and Saviour. On Good Friday, all these things once concealed are now revealed.
As a believer, it is of vital importance to have a good understanding of the cross. People perish for a lack of knowledge.
The Salvation Plan
Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death.Hebrews 2:14
For it is not possible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.Hebrews 10:4
And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, “Each of you drink from it, for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.Matthew 26:27-28
- There is a price / ransom to be paid for the price of death.
- The cost was not money but human blood, He came loaded with blood in His veins to pay the price for our salvation.
- When we die our blood stops flowing, it all has to do with blood.
- His blood satisfied the price to be paid.
- In the Old Testament God is concealed, in the New Testament, God is revealed.
…that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures.1 Corinthians 15:3
Jesus was crucified according to scripture. Heaven choreographed His death.
Genesis 22 – Abraham takes Isaac to Mount Moriah to sacrifice him.
- Isaac was not a little boy, sometimes commentaries state that he was around 30 years of age. He carried the wood and was to be the sacrifice.
- We think of Isaac’s pain, knowing that His father was going to give him up… We consider the bleeding in the heart of the father (Abraham)
But the blood on your doorposts will serve as a sign, marking the houses where you are staying. When I see the blood, I will pass over you. This plague of death will not touch you when I strike the land of Egypt.Exodus 12:13
When we come out under the blood we are saved. We never die. Death where is your sting?
He is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites–all their sins–and put them on the goat’s head. He shall send the goat away into the wilderness in the care of someone appointed for the task.Leviticus 16:21
The sins of the people were placed on the scape goat, just as Jesus took the sins of the world upon Him.
So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.Numbers 21:9
Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up.John 3:14
- Even though we have been bitten by sin, all those who look upon the cross will be saved.
- Once you come to an understanding of the blood, your worship will never be the same.
And you know that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. Then Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.Acts 10:38
Jesus went around doing good, so why would they want to murder Him?
Who Was Responsible for His Death?
- The Romans had occupied Isreal. Crucifixion was reserved for Jewish criminals. The sign above the cross indicated their crime.
- Jesus had two trials. One at night by the Jews and one the next morning by the Romans.
You have tested my heart; You have visited me in the night; You have tried me and have found nothing; I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.Psalm 17:3
- The Jewish Sanhedrin who said that He blasphemed by calling Himself The Son of God.
- The Romans served many God’s so even calling yourself a God was not a crime.
- The Jews said that He called Himself The King of the Jews so the Romans tried Him for treason.
- The death of Jesus cannot be blamed on the Jews alone as the gentiles were also party to it.
Death By Crucifixion
- All capital punishment is designed to be painless.
- Crucifixion is most shameful, painful, excruciating and bloody.
- Crurifragium – The breaking of the lower leg bones as an ancient form of punishment or execution.