I learnt so much from this teaching!
Destiny is decided by decisions…
Have you ever wondered what happened between the crucifixion on Friday and the resurrection on Sunday?
Pastor Vernon Jacob shared some great insights…
- The only difference between a sanctuary and a cemetery is a sound.
- Nehemiah PREDICTED that the bones would live but Ezekiel PROPHESIED that the dry bones would live. The difference is that Ezekiel spoke TO the bones, not ABOUT them.
- We have resurrection power. Those things that are dead, we need to declare and they will come alive.
- Before He went to the cross Jesus said “I will rise again” He was putting power to it with His words.
- Death as we know it by its definition is truly destroyed, and resurrection morning by Jesus coming out of that grave means that He was the first fruit of resurrected life and that all who identify with Him will also enjoy the same pattern: Death, Burial and Resurrection.
Death Is A Mystery
Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.1 Corinthians 15:51
- Death can be a lock and a key
- It shuts up life up opens up eternal life
- It ends sorrow but enters joy
- It wipes away tears of the dying and breaks the heart of the living.
- Ends corruption to put on incorruption
- Birth and death are both transitional
- We do not live in the land of the living but the land of the dying for when we die, we go into the land of the living, eternal life.
- Death is no longer a mystery for it has been revealed to us.
- In the new testament it does not speak of death but of “sleep”
- Death is a separation from God as it was stated in Genesis
…except the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. If you eat its fruit, you are sure to die.Genesis 2:7
- This was not a physical but a spiritual death. A separation between God and man. A great chasm.
- But Good Friday is the day of RECONNECTION Between God and man.
- Every Destiny is Decided by a Decision.
“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.John 3:16
- Our Christian faith rises and falls on the truth of this day, the day of Resurrection. Everyone dies but not everyone rises.
- The are graves of great men, sages and prophets, but their bones are still inside. The tomb of Jesus is empty for He has risen!
📎The Resurrection of the Dead… Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised; and if Christ has not been raised, then our proclamation has been in vain and your faith has been in vain. We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified of God that he raised Christ—whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised. If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied. But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have died. fallen asleep. For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead has also come through a human being; for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ.1 Corinthians 15:12-23
- The Corinthians didn’t believe in resurrection so Paul wrote this to them to explain.
- On Friday He was crucified for the sins on man. God is a God of justice. Even the devil wanted justice. So justice was satisfied on Friday so that mercy could be extended.
- Mercy means that we deserve a penalty but it is not meted out.
- Grace is when you don’t deserve it yet you receive it.
- The blood of an animal was insufficient to pay the price. It needed to be the blood of a man. So heaven would send Jesus to die on that Good Friday.
- Jesus said “Tetelestai” meaning “It is finished” the debt has been paid.
- When Jesus said it was finished on Friday, it was done. There was no further war that took place in hell as was suggested by some who suggested that Jesus continued the fight with the devil underground.
indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.Psalm 121:4
When the doors of the tomb were shut, Jesus didn’t sleep for 3 days. He is a God who neither slumbers nor sleeps.
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.Matthew 12:40
When people died prior to the cross, they went down. Jesus went into the heart of the earth.
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”Luke 23:43
- The sinner on the cross repented and Jesus told him that he would join Him in paradise that day. Paradise was down.
- Because of the separation from sin they could not go up.
So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.Luke 16: 22-23
Old Testament “Believers” Paradise.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.Psalm 16:10
- Hades (New Testament equivalent) Sheol (Old Testament Greek)
- “torments” was a place in Hades.
- There were two compartments in Sheol. One for the people who were “saved” or the believers. People who followed the 10 commandments and the one true God. This was known as Paradise / Abraham’s bosom.
“You shall have no other gods before me.”Exodus 20:3
- The second compartment was for the “unsaved”. This is the place of torment.
- Between the two sections is a gulf that separated them.
- Hades is not hell. Hell is much worse than this place. This was just a place of torment. Hell is reserved for satan and his angels and those who follow him.
The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.Revelation 20:10
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.Matthew 25:41
- So Jesus went down to Hades and He gathered all the saints. They were held captive but He came to be the door in the wall. He came to lead them out.
Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.”(Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also 4first descended into the lower parts of the earth?Ephesians 4:8-9
When you ascended to the heights, you led a crowd of captives. You received gifts from the people, even from those who rebelled against you. Now the LORD God will live among us there.Psalm 68:18
- The “heavens” referring to the third heaven, where His Father rests.
- He took Paradise from the heart of the earth and put it in the heart of heaven.
- He gathered all the saints and took them up.
Who may ascend the hill of the LORD? Who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart…Psalm 24:3-4
Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.2 Corinthians 4:8
- After the cross we will not go down but we will go up. We have a door in the wall.
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.Matthew 16:18
- We do not wait in transit after we die. We go up to Jesus. To the Father.
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.John 14:16
The Written Guarantee
The testimony is this: God has given us eternal life, and this life has its source in his Son. Whoever has the Son has this life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I am writing this to you so that you may know that you have eternal life — you that believe in the Son of God. We have courage in God’s presence, because we are sure that he hears us if we ask him for anything that is according to his will.1 John 5:11-14
- We received the guarantee of eternal life. We are covered by grace. We are not living in the time of the law. We don’t doubt our eternity.
- The blood on the mercy seat covers what’s inside. Our sins are covered.
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.Romans 8:1
- Those who don’t believe will go into the compartment called torment. After the 1000 years these people will come to the White Throne Judgement.
- The place of torment will move to the burning furnace.
They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.Matthew 13:42
- It is up to us to tell the people we love.
- While hell was crated for satan and the other fallen angels, the unsaved of humanity from all ages will be with them in the place of torment where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. This is the everlasting “reward” of all that die in their sins.
- All destinies are decided by decisions. Have you made Jesus your personal Saviour? Have you told others about Jesus?
Listen to and share this life transforming teaching by clicking on the link below: